WHAT IS THE Westend Academy SCHOLARSHIP?The Westend Academy Scholarship is awarded to any person who is registered in a Westend Academy program. This award in in recognition of an individual’s true desire to pursue a career in hairstyling or esthetics and become an ambassador for the Westend Academy.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR A SCHOLARSHIP?Eligibility requirements are: - Applicant must be 18 years of age at commencement of the Program
- Applicant must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
- Applicant will have graduated from High School or an equivalent
- Applicant must demonstrate outstanding qualities in the areas of leadership, community spirit, Volunteering at a salon/spa and a commitment and desire to be part of the beauty industry
-Applicant must complete the application.
SCHOLARSHIP VALUEThe amount of the scholarship is $500.00 which can only be applied to student tuition provided a student completes and graduates. The number of scholarships awarded may vary from year to year.
SELECTION PROCESS1. Applicant must have successfully completed Westend Academy’s screening process, and have registered in the program.
2. The Westend Academy Selection Committee will consider the following for purposes of awarding scholarships:
- Community Service
- Previous School Attendance
- Attitude and Aptitude
- Personal need
- Volunteer Work
- Results of the Entrance Exam and Screening Interviews
3. Student will be informed by letter of their award.
4. You must successfully complete the Diploma Program to receive the credit for the scholarship.
5. The Westend Academy Scholarship credit will be applied towards the tuition of the Diploma Program.
6. If the recipient leaves the institution or does not successfully complete the Diploma Program, they are responsible for the full financial obligation of the program to the date of their withdrawal. They have voided the Scholarship Agreement and will receive no credit towards their tuition.
7. If the recipient must delay their start date for any reason, the scholarship will become null and void.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONApplications will be disqualified if the following instructions are not followed:
1. Complete all information of the official scholarship application. (Application form may be photo copied.)
2. Type or print legibly all information on the application.
3. Write a one-page essay describing why you deserve a scholarship. Direct comments toward your motivation, need (financial or otherwise), leadership, and academic accomplishments. Describe special talents and special, creative or challenging activities that you have initiated or obstacles you have overcome to achieve your goals. Direct comments towards why you would like to pursue a career in the beauty industry. This essay must be handwritten/typed, single-spaced, and on one-side of one page, with your name, address and phone number in a single line across the top of the page. Content, originality, and form (punctuation, spelling, and grammar) will be considered.
4. Provide your application and essay, and a copy of your academic transcript/diploma/equivalency to Westend Academy 2525 Carling Ave, Ottawa, Ontario K2B 7Z2
5. Please fill in the Guidance Counselor/Teacher’s Evaluation Form for the applicant.
6. Enclose: The Application Form, Applicant’s Essay, Applicant’s Academic Transcript and Guidance Counselor/Teacher’s Evaluation Form in an envelope, address and mail to:
2525 Carling Ave,
Attention: Financial Aid
7. The Scholarship application forms may be duplicated.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORMPersonal Data Please type or print legibly. Social Insurance Number (for Income Tax Purposes)
Name Date of Birth Gender
City Province Postal Code
Home Phone Email
Name of Parent(s) or Guardian(s)
Education Record High School City/Province Year Graduated
List activities in which you participate at school:
List interests, activities and community achievements outside of school:
Signature I affirm that all the information herein and provided with this application is true and correct.
If there is not sufficient space provided on the application form, please attach additional pages to complete your answers.
APPLICANT’S ESSAY Applicant Name (please print/type)
Applicant’s Signature Date